Wednesday, November 12, 2014

A Bellydancer and Her Hysterectomy: Welcome to the Club...

Well, I am 48 hours post op and doing very well...  
In case you didn't know, I had a hysterectomy on Monday (11/10/14)  morning....
Here is my story to share, with the intention to update often as I progress through my recovery:

I am so lucky and extremely grateful for my surgery outcome (LAVH: laporoscopy assisted vaginal hysterectomy -  removed: uterus, cervix & tubes) and my wonderful doctor and surgery team. I had a little nausea upon waking up from surgery and of course pain, but my nurse took care of that right away for me, and gave me ice chips - which at that point was all I *really* wanted LOL! 

I was up and around to the amazement of my anesthesiologists and recovery nurse, dressed with hair fixed and lip gloss on (always keeping it glam, you know) 2 hours after surgery and ready to go home. My Dr. had already discharged me to go whenever I was ready. I had and still have moderate pain, but nothing worse than I have suffered over the years from my menstrual cycles.   The pain medicine (NORCO) seems to be keeping it under control and so far so good. I have a pretty high pain tolerance due to my many years of dealing with the severe pain from my period, so in a way, that is a plus for me and will definitely help in the days to come.

 I asked for an abdominal binder from my nurse and she got me one - It is currently my best friend! I highly recommend one to help keep down swelling and give support to your belly after a hysterectomy or any ab surgery. I slept ok the first night but got up every 2 hours or so to pee, which is good I suppose. Last night I slept MUCH better, only getting up twice (I think). A little bathroom tip: Rolling up a towel and holding it against your abs when you "go" after surgery - It totally helps! Best advice ever! I am hoping for a poo soon (sorry, TMI - but super important after any surgery!)....  Keeping my fingers crossed it happens today.  

My appetite is coming back: I had 2 cups of veggie broth and some toast throughout the day/eve my first day home. Yesterday I had some peanut butter toast and black coffee in the morning, veggie broth and crackers for lunch, and finally a real meal of tempeh and kale for dinner with a little chocolate for dessert.  This morning, more peanut butter toast and black coffee. I take coconut oil as a mild laxative, and started taking it actually the night before my surgery, so hopefully it will do the trick! And of course I am drinking a LOT of water....  I had my dad and my sis with me the first night (sis is an RN) to help me, and my sweet boyfriend came to see me the first night too. Today, just my dad and the kitties are here.  The kitties are being soooooo good and are wonderful nurses.

So all in all, my experience has been a good one and I wish the same for any of you waiting for your "big day". For those of you waiting for your surgery, have hope and go in with a positive attitude - It will make all the difference in the world. More later.... xo 


Here is a little photo journal of my hysterectomy day...

My "Good Luck Bunny Socks" gift from a friend ~ My surgery team let me wear them in the OR and they did the trick!  ♥


My Dr. knows I am a bellydancer, so she told me to draw a line on my abs where I wear my skirt/belt so she would make sure to make the incisions below it - And she did!  Of course I added a "thank you" note to her ♥


Part of my recovery team: Nurse Natasha ♥


These beauties were waiting for me on my front porch Monday when I got home from the hospital - From one of my dear dancer friends ♥












No comments:

Post a Comment