Friday, May 23, 2014

My Something

Being a bellydance teacher is so incredible and I am grateful everyday that this is my career choice.

I have been teaching and performing bellydance for over 15 years and teaching and performing American Tribal Style® (ATS®) Bellydance for over 8 years.  I am committed to ATS® and really love the dance, but I have to say that my favorite thing about ATS® is my students...

The diversity of my students is amazing ~ I have students of all ages, sizes, backgrounds, etc. and each one is a treasure.  They come to me to learn to dance for many different reasons, however one thing they all have in common is their desire to belong... to find their "something" that makes them feel joy and gives them a sense of accomplishment.

I totally understand this desire.  For all of my life, it seems, I have just wanted to belong...  Belong to something...  Something beautiful, something strong, something empowering, something....  Something to make my life meaningful and complete.  Dance, specifically bellydance, is my something, and honestly, I do not know what I would do without it.  Being a bellydance teacher makes my "something" complete.

As a teacher, I am able to give back what my teachers have given me.  My job is to help create strong and beautiful dancers and empower them to enjoy the dance, each other, and most importantly: themselves.  I am often asked: "How long will it take me to learn how to dance?"  My answer is always the same: "Do not rush your education, the dance will bring to you what you bring to it."  That may sound a bit cryptic, but the fact of the matter is, it is the truth.  If bellydance is your something, and ATS® is your path, you are in for many, many years of hard work, practice, education, classes, student recitals, workshops, private lessons and, oh yeah, PRACTICE!

In my opinion, ATS® Bellydance (as with all movement art) is a major commitment.  You never stop learning and you are always trying to improve.  Even as a GS for ATS® and ATS® Certified Teacher (trained by Carolena Nericcio-Bohlman herself) I am constantly striving to better my art.  I spend many hours a day, almost every day, thinking about my dance, self-critiquing my classes and performances, coming up with ideas to teach more effectively, dissecting each thing I do as a teacher and performer so that I may give to my students (and audiences) my ultimate best...  Always thinking, always doing...  and I love it.

My students inspire me to be this way, and for this I am grateful.  Thank you to all of my students, past, present and future.  Because of you, I have my "something".  ♥




No comments:

Post a Comment